Friday, December 07, 2007

Fedora 8 + Skype 2 Beta + Vlc + Audacious

I love Fedora. So obviously I love Linux :D, so its only natural that I would not want to use ***doze for just Skype-right?

Here starts a mix and match of sound servers that were messing up one or the other app-pulse audio was not helping much. If I set everything to OSS, audacious and skype were working but not vlc, and any combination had such problems.

Getting Skype 2 beta alone to work was a significant task-all with skype when run on the CLI telling me the follosing message:

Cannot open shared library /usr/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_ctl_pulse.so

And searching around I found that this so was in alsa-plugins-pulseaudio, which adding to the confusion was already installed on my machine...

The solution turned out to be to surprise-surprise-- uninstall alsa-plugins-pulseaudio :)

System->Preferences->Hardware->Sound

Vlc->Settings->Preferences->Audio->OutPut Modules->Advanced options enabled

Audacious Preferences

Skype Preferences

Now that done, I removed all traces of pulse on my FC8 box and added a few plugins for audacious and alsa-the following is the list of related packages I have at the moment:

alsa-plugins-oss-1.0.14-5.fc8
python-alsaaudio-0.2-2.fc7
alsa-oss-libs-1.0.14-3.fc8
alsa-lib-1.0.15-1.fc8
alsa-utils-1.0.15-1.fc8
alsa-oss-1.0.14-3.fc8
alsa-lib-devel-1.0.15-1.fc8
alsa-lib-1.0.15-1.fc8
python-vlc-0.8.6d-3.lvn8
vlc-core-0.8.6d-3.lvn8
mozilla-vlc-0.8.6d-3.lvn8
vlc-0.8.6d-3.lvn8
audacious-1.3.2-3.fc8
audacious-plugins-1.3.5-3.fc8
audacious-plugins-nonfree-mp3-1.3.5-1.lvn8
audacious-docklet-0.1.1-2.fc7
audacious-libs-1.3.2-3.fc8



And now, all three work fine...phew....

No comments: